Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How?/To not be perfect is just perfect enough.

How?

How do yo make me love and hate you at the same time?
How do you make me smile, but feel so unhappy?
How come when we talk, you hear silence?
How do we hug, but feel no warmth?
How do you say you love me, and not even mean it?

-ashley coppolino



i could spend all day asking questions like Why or How.. But i learned that if you worry too much about something, you're missing out on finding the answer for yourself. I'm not sure if it makes sense to you, but i get it perfectly.
I think that's what i like about art. There's no questions. I took me a while to figure it out, but no art is perfect. If you spend hours upon hours correcting every mistake and asking why did you do that, or how can you make it look better, you're wasting your time. Grab a pencil or a paintbrush and start on a new page.
It's hard to believe that i learned all this by painting squares today. I learned i can't draw a straight line with a paintbrush. But the imperfections is what made it unique, and quite frankly, it was perfect to me. I crumpled up two paintings i made because the colors blended and i didn't like it or i didn't know why it looked like a elementary kid did it. The third time made me realize that painting non-perfect lines adds character to it. It adds a bit of me to the painting.

I guess that's how i take on the world as an artist. Art doesn't have to be so precise. In fact, art shouldn't be so precise (depending on the situation).

And so, that's it for todays blog.

-ashleycoppolino

3 comments:

  1. i find it funny we learned alot from squares. but heres the thing you shouldn't hate your work at all in general. nobody should feel hate wards something they made. Now you might have agreed with this statement im just to lazy to hit back right now plus i need to shower and alot of things BUT remember how Mr. Gains says i don't use hate but i dislike stuff? remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you're right. i didn't know squares were so educational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you make sense. Like when you're watching a movie, and your friend has already seen it, and you keep asking "oh my god what's gonna happen? will they get married? shit she's gonna die isn't she??" you really don't want them to answer, it ruins something about it.

    ReplyDelete