Thursday, February 4, 2010

Artist Statement

Artist Statement:

Photography has mainly been my art. I was never taught how to use a camera and capture focal points, but as I figured it all out, I have grown a passion for it. I do photography because I take that one moment of time and hold it. With a camera, you have the ability to capture a moment of your life from any angle. Not all photographs look right, but if you move the camera and look at the world, it’s not all right either.

When I take photos, I try to grasp every ounce of color. The contrast between light and dark or dull and bright, to me, makes the picture pop and look stronger. In photography, you’re only given so much space to fit your shot in. And in that space, every speck is seen. If I’m taking a picture of a landscape, for example, and there’s garbage on the floor in my shot, I will not keep the photo. Yes, it’s how I see the world, but no, it’s not how I want to remember my picture. The little details are important, but not my main importance. But like any other photographer, I just want my picture to come out good.

Color is my main focus in a photo, like I have slightly mentioned before. Even in black and white, when you have your pure blacks and your whitest whites, it makes the photo look great. With black and white you could do color splash, which means the whole photo is black and white except the one thing you decided to keep in color.

Even though photography is where my heart is in art, I’m open to any art. Any way to creatively express what I want to, what I need to, I’m open for it. I can’t really describe art, but it’s the things you can’t describe that are most important in your life.


ashleycoppolino

No comments:

Post a Comment