Monday, March 21, 2011

Writing with Reed (Workshop)

Ok, so remember when I said that STAC hasn't done something like this before? Well, that was about the calligraphy, but now I'm talking about mystery/crime writing.
I have dabbled in the field of writing. According to my teacher, I have this voice that is said to be sarcastic and rude, which I took as a compliment, but as I'm typing it, it seems a bit ridiculous.
Anywho, this is another unique workshop. Crime and mystery aren't exactly my go-to read or writing choice, but I think it just became a choice.
I was listening to what Reed was saying, and he said something along the lines of "there's a little bit of mystery everywhere", but not so straightforward. I actually figured it out on my own. Think about shows, movies and books that you see: is every fact given to you? NO! Mystery isn't just in Nancy Drew.
One thing that caught my attention was this exact quote from Reed, "Readers shouldn't be forced to turn the page-that's your job." One of the most honest lines from a writer. It's so true.
So, I fought the fear of writing in a new style and came up with an idea.
"The thin pin-pointed needle raced up and down so fast that the paper could barely catch up. His finger on the buttons pounded like my heart. "Can you explain your story again, Mrs. Kline?" He asked. Calmly, I answered. The needle drew a straight line."
How do you like the first few lines of my mystery novel?
It needs work, obviously, but it's just a beginning.

-ashleycoppolino

1 comment:

  1. I do indeed like that as the first few lines of your mystery novel! Lie-detector test? Or hardcore sewing?

    ReplyDelete