Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lighting The Room With Rob Goldman!

I won't use the word hate, but its not fair when people look at me saying that I'm "the photographer" or "the photography girl", both of which I have been named numerous times. I feel like there's a standard I need to pass, and I'm trying to pass it, but something is holding me back.
I knew a lot about what Rob was talking about. And I don't mean to sound conceded when I say that, it's just that the technical stuff is the base of photography, which I believe that I am close to overcoming.
I will not say that I am a pro photographer, not close at all, actually, but this stuff that Rob taught today is where I want to advance from. I want to master this to move on to more and more advanced photography.

Anywho, we went over things like harsh and soft light, which is major when shooting your subject. We talked about casting a shadow by placing the light source off to the side of the subject, at a 90 degree angle, the vertex being the subject, so on and so forth.
We used Elisa's camera, which was cool since I have just about the same one, so I knew how to maneuver it.
I was the "model" for the shadowing we did, which I didn't love, but I didn't entirely mind either. I don't really like being in the photo as much as I like taking them.
My favorite part about today is how we only started off with a camera. We had to find a janitor for the light bulb, we used a stool that was lying on the stage and we found a white curtain (used to diffuse the light in the photographs). We scavenged for our supplies. The best part about doing that, is that in the photograph, you don't notice it. You can't tell that we used a piece of paper as a reflector for the light.
It's like we got secrets of a photographer.. I don't know, I find it so fascinating.

-ashleycoppolino

2 comments:

  1. Good.

    Good good good.

    The technical stuff is easy. We can talk about that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning-same here. At least that's how it used to be for me. At college, I'm the artsy one that knows a lot about politics. It gets really really irritating.

    ReplyDelete