Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Moon wasn't my expectations.

I guess you could call me a Twihard, but not a massive one.
Twihard: An serious/obsessive reader of the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer.
I mean, I could tell you anything you want about Robert Thomas Pattinson/Edward Anthony Cullen. It's gross that I could, but totally true :)

Why didn't it fit all my expectations?
Well, it did. I read the book, so I knew what i was expecting.

But after seeing Kontroll and the incredible angles, etc. it had, New Moon was a bit disappointing.
The camera kept spinning around the characters for absolutely no reason. It's a dramatic movie. I think it's a bit more dramatic to keep the camera in one spot and showing the actors expression in the single shot, but instead... it had to show you a 360 of the actor. And in the fighting scene, it was slow motion to very fast, it was just annoying.
Kontroll kept the camera rolling without stoping quite a few times, but in New Moon, it was about every three seconds that the camera cut and moved. It would take a shot, cut and move it, go back to the origional position and switch back and fourth a couple of times. And if I thought about New Moon as if it was made for me, i would think they did the camera positioning to piss me off-that's all it did.
I would've never known all this stuff if it wasn't for STAC. It's weird how one class can make you see a glass not just half empty or full, but you can see the shape, color, depth and empty spaces. And if that glass was being recorded by the cameraman from New Moon, you'd see the lack of talent that Kontroll should lend over. It's annoying that I notice these things now, but it'll take getting used to. I don't think me noticing these little things that no one usually cares about will ever go away now.

i'm not telling you that you shouldn't see it, i definitely think you should, we can talk about it!

Oh, and I was very sick for 8 days, but I'm better now and will see all your wonderful faces on Monday, 7th period sharp!

-ashleycoppolino

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am quite pleased to see you applying knowledge.

    I think all the camera angles and movements in bad movies is there to disguise the fact the story is boring and the acting stinks. It's the same reason R&B singers riff and emote so much - the melody is boring so they have to do something. If there was a great melody - a beatles melody - then there would be nothing to do, and nothing better to do - than to sing the damn song.

    Good post - see you monday, kiddo!

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest problem with New Moon, and Twilight for that matter, was the crappy dialogue. It was actually hard for me to hear some of the lines. I've read all the books, and I'm not obsessed by any means, and even when reading the words that came out of Edward Cullen's mouth would annoy the hell out of me. Even when it was surrounded pages of description the lines would still stick out as unbearably bad.
    As for the annoying camera spins, there were less then when Catherine Hardwicke was directing, by a considerable amount. But I think that's her style because I've noticed a lot of that in her other films, like Thirteen.

    ReplyDelete